Search and rescue operations at site of SR 530 slide, April 1, 2014..
Joint SR 530 Landslide Commission
SR 530 Landslide Commission Final Report [Released Dec.15, 2014]
Governor Jay Inslee and Snohomish County Executive John Lovick formed a joint commission in response to the SR 530 landslide of March 2014.
The governor and the executive agreed the commission’s operations should:
- Operate independently from the state and county executive branches
- Be thoughtful, fair, compassionate and credible
- Be transparent and abide by open meetings and public records laws
- Produce a report of prioritized recommendations by Dec. 15, 2014
One of government’s key roles is to promote public safety. The commission will focus its work on identifying recommendations related to the SR 530 landslide that, if implemented today, would improve planning and response for similar events. The commission will not determine liability, cause or fault. Commission members will:
- Perform a high-level review of the incident and establish a timeline of events. Review of the emergency response to the slide may include the initial emergency search and rescue, recovery of victims, community efforts and coordination among local, county, state, tribal and federal governments.
- Identify information gaps, lessons learned or technical needs, and proposed changes to policy, code or operational procedures.
- Prof. David Montgomery, Professor of Earth and Space Systems at the University of Washington
- Wendy Gerstel, Licensed Hydrogeologist and Principal at QWG Applied Geology
- Bill Trimm, FAICP, former Community Development Director at the City of Mill Creek
- Diane Sugimura, Director, Department of Planning and Development at the City of Seattle
- Chief Greg Garcia, former Fire Chief at the City of Pasco
- Chief Steve Strachan, City of Bremerton Police Chief and former King County Sheriff
- Lee Shipman, Emergency Management Director at Shoalwater Bay Tribe
- Hon. Jill Boudreau, City of Mount Vernon Mayor
- Renee Radcliff Sinclair, former State Representative and former Snohomish County Planning Commissioner
- Paul Chiles, Real Estate Counselor and former Chair, Urban League of Metropolitan Seattle
- JoAnn Boggs, President, Washington State Emergency Management Association
- John Erickson, former Director of Emergency Preparedness, Department of Health
Past meeting materials
The commission has completed its meetings. Meeting materials are below.
- Agenda, Sept. 30
- Presentation: Response to the SR 530 landslide (DNR Division of Geology and Earth Resources)
- Presentation: Resources and opportunities to better manage landslide risk (WSDOT)
- Remarks: John Pennington (Snohomish County, Department of Emergency Management)
- Audio for this meeting is not available.
- Agenda, Sept. 10
- Meeting agreements, Sept. 10
- Meeting summary, Sept. 10
- Presentation: Lessons Learned, (Washington Military Department, Emergency Management Division)
- Meeting audio, Sept. 10 (3 hours 5 mins)
- Meeting summary, Aug. 28
- Meeting audio, Aug. 28 (3 hours 10 mins)
- Presentations and handouts: